Spider Control & Removal
Australia is home to some of the world’s most venomous spiders, though it is rare that they enter homes. Nevertheless, if they do enter your home, it’s best to call a professional pest control service to eradicate them.
Spiders in Melbourne
From a pest control point of view, Spiders (also called arachnids) can be divided into two types, web-makers and hunters:
- Redbacks: Small, pea-shaped creatures with a venomous bite. They will nest in rubbish, furniture, children’s toys and potted plants.
- Orb-weavers: These arachnids tend to build sticky webs in gardens, and under eaves and around windows.
- White Tails: Dark grey creatures with a white spot at the end. It lurks under furniture and may be present on clothes brought in from the line.
- Huntsmen: Large animals those are aggressive if provoked.
- Brown Trapdoors: Garden varieties that make burrows. Rarely enter homes.
Dealing with Spiders
- These creatures like hiding in clothes, so don’t leave them lying around, and give them a good shake before wearing them. Ditto for shoes.
- Check your bed linen & sheets before going to bed.
- Seal cracks and any other gaps or holes from which spiders can enter.
- Reduce or eliminate any potential harbourage, such as firewood piles.
- The best way is to keep the home insect-free, for arachnids can’t survive without their prey base.
- Preventive sprays don’t work, so there’s no guarantee that they won’t come back.
- Remove webs as you see them. This keeps the home neat, but doesn’t stop them from building the web again.
- The only really effective method is to find each one of them and spray them. Do not try to catch them in a cup or box.
In case of a Spider Bite
In all cases of a bite, get immediate medical attention for the victim. Meanwhile, here is some first-aid you can do:
- Funnel-web and Mouse Spiders: Seal off the bite site by applying a tourniquet. You may need to apply a splint.
- Redbacks: Apply an ice pack to reduce the pain. Ensure the patient stays calm.
- White-tailed and Black House Spiders: Bites causes pain and swelling which may subside in a bit. Patient may experience nausea and dizziness.
- Orb Weaver Spider: Usually not harmful to humans, barring mild pain.
There may be an unpredictable risk of severe allergic reactions for some people.
Call professionals for effective spider removal
A professional pest control service provider like Protech Pest Control will know the kinds of arachnids likely to infest your house, based on the environment around it. Our experts, with over 25 years of experience in the pest control industry, are renowned for serving best control actions for the pest detected. Besides, they have specialised equipment that can reach where DIY sprays cannot. .We deploy a wide variety of products and methods that can take care of most infestations and best assist on how to prevent further infestation.
Protech Pest Control’s Spider Treatment
- Roof: We will apply a pesticide dust to the roof space, and in other cavities where spiders can hide (such as basements, heating rooms etc).
- Refuges: Child- and pet-safe chemical sprays are applied to likely refuges, such as under sinks, near lights etc.
- Outdoors: Eaves, verandas, patios, potted plants, letterboxes etc are sprayed if they harbour webs or live individuals. Clotheslines if sprayed shouldn’t be used for some time.
- Webs: If webs are present, we spray them. We recommend that you not remove the webs so that the treatment can act on the resident individual.
In extreme cases, we may ask you to vacate the house for a few hours so a chemical mist can be applied.
Give us a Call
When you hire Protech Pest Control, we first inspect your house and its surroundings for the species of spider and their shelters. We will then exterminate the pests using traps as well as chemical methods, clean out webs and recommend other actions you need to take. With arachnids however, there are no permanent methods, so we cannot offer a guarantee.
Call us from anywhere in Melbourne on 1300 780 980
I have been using Protech’s services for approximately 7 years now for spider treatments. I have a terrible phobia of spiders and when we moved into our new house and started noticing huge huntsmen inside and outside the house, I could not cope. My daughter was also bitten by a white tail spider and had a severe reaction, we later learnt she was allergic. I knew then something had to be done. Either we moved or they had to go. I then came across an ad for Protech and I thought I would give them a go. They were terrific.
Friendly staff, always on time and reasonably priced. They are very thorough and always careful with my furniture. They guarantee their work and are always happy to come back if you have any problems. And most importantly, l am now spider free and very happy. I always refer to Protech as Spiderman (my hero). I would highly recommend them.