Wasp Control & Removal
Wasps aren’t dangerous. Unless you mess with them.
Wasps are one of nature’s most interesting insects, and usually leave people alone unless their nests are disturbed. With carefulness and Protech Pest Control’s expertise, you can keep yourself and your loved ones safe from painful wasp stings.
Wasp Control and Removal Services
Types of wasps
You can divide them by their behaviour into social (nesting in groups), solitary (nesting alone) and parasitic wasps (laying eggs on other insects).
Making up the vast majority of species, these live alone, usually making nests out of mud, or in plants (galls) or other insect nests. These wasps look formidable, but are less ready to sting unless disturbed. They rarely like nesting indoors, but prefer window-sills, eaves, porches etc.
These nest in large groups of 300 to 25000 individuals, and will readily sting to protect their nest. Social wasp nests usually last spring and summer, after which the workers die off and the queen hibernates for winter. Two types are common in and around Melbourne.
- European (Vespula germanica) and English wasps (Vespula vulgaris): These are the most common culprits for stings. They make their houses of paper, preferably in a sheltered location like a garage or loft where there isn’t a lot of human activity. The most common are the workers (~1.5 cm long) flying in and out in search of prey. You can identify them by their yellow and black pattern.
- Yellow Jackets (Vespula species): These are the most common culprits for stings. They make their houses of paper, preferably in a sheltered location like a garage or loft where there isn’t a lot of human activity. The most common are the workers (~1.5 cm long) flying in and out in search of prey. You can identify them by their yellow and black pattern.
These are good wasps actually - for they lay their eggs in the bodies of insects that infest crops. The larvae eat the host inside out. These wasps are tiny and rarely ever sting humans.
How do I know there are wasps around?
The nest is usually hidden in a crevice, or a place used infrequently by humans, such as a loft, garden shed, basement storage or garage, as well as roof cavities, spaces in walls etc. Unused boxes, post-boxes or even electricity meter boxes are a good choice for them.
- The first sign of a wasp nest near your house is a constant stream of workers coming and going.
- Observe them from a safe distance and spot what crack or hole they are using.
If you spot a nest, do not approach it but call Protech Pest Control immediately.
Help! I’ve a wasp in My House
Relax. They’ll ignore you until you catch their attention, so don’t make sudden movements, stay quiet and certainly do not try to swat them. If you locate a potential nesting site inside the house, lock the room and call Protech Pest Control. If the nest is outside, ensure no one disturbs it.
If you’ve been stung, you will experience pain, redness and swelling, sometimes numbness. Immediately:
- Place an ice pack or cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Take a painkiller like paracetamol
- Use an anti-histamine to prevent an allergic reaction
- Get to a doctor as soon as possible
A few people might develop an immune reaction to the sting, that can manifest as an allergy if they’ve been stung a second time. They may then experience difficulty in breathing or wheezing, vomiting, nausea or diarrhoea, rapid swelling in the face, or fainting. Call an ambulance without delay. It is rare, but allergic reactions to wasp stings can turn deadly.
How do I stay away from wasps and their stings?
- Ensure there’s no food left uncovered. They like sweet and protein-rich stuff, like jams, juice concentrates, fruit and even pet food.
- Food waste in your bins may attract wasps, so ensure the bin is shut tight after you’ve used it every time.
- If there’s a nest nearby, keep windows and doors shut. Prevent your pets and kids from going near it.
- Wasps like a sheltered place, so ensure that such places remain airtight. Any cracks or crevices should be cemented and any holes drilled in walls to let in piping or cables must be sealed
- Ensure a wasp-check is part of your spring cleaning, before the nest has time to grow.
Why Choose Protech Pest control?
At Protech Pest Control, we have expertise that will exterminate wasps and nest in under an hour, anywhere in metropolitan Melbourne. Our methods are child- and pet-safe, sustainable and affordable, including non-toxic chemical sprays and physical methods.
Call us from anywhere in Melbourne on 1300 780 980